Friday, August 31, 2012

It was full.

In the release of his theatrical documentary "2016: Obama's America," Dinesh D'Souza synthesizes the personal journey of President Barack Obama with an examination of how "the dreams of his father" motivates the 44th president. From the meeting of his parents, to the selection of his mentors, D'Souza follows Barack across four continents all the way to the white house, with the attitude of anti-colonialism taking central focus.  Better than any alternative motive, D'Souza claims, anti-colonialism becomes the prime explanation as to this president refuses to triangulate for the good of the country, and leaves a bone chilling prediction of the future should he win reelection.

Now, as for my impressions, this particular conservative went with his family to view the film on a random 7:10 showing on a Monday. Personally I would recommend the film, as it provided insights unknown even to a critic of the president such as myself. For those less politically inclined however; for those who appeared to be learning of the president background for very first time, the reactions were telling.

For some it seemed, the radical communism of his parents and mentors was a deep revelation. The rational link between such ideals and the policy actions of the president was of stunned surprise among some in the crowd. Gasps could be heard from those to hear for the first time of Jeremiah Wright, pastor of Barack Obama, and the extraordinarily anti-american theology he preach to the president for over twenty years. From the ruthless tactics of the Chicago School to how his career started with aid from unrepentant terrorist, everyone it seemed, had a insight into Obama resonating deeply within their heart.

For me, to learn of Barack's half-brother, and the implication behind why the president would leave him abandoned to destitution in a small Kenyan hut was most unexpected; a cold insight into the true nature of the 44th president.

Personally however, the revelation of greatest emotional impact wasn't to be found in the film itself, but in the broader experience of having seen in in theaters.

You see, my family and I had arrived at the theater by 7 o'clock - a safe ten minutes before the previews began. I had just purchased popcorn and drinks whilst my family had already went ahead.

I stepped into the theater.

I turned the corner to face the seats.

I looked up from the popcorn I held, expecting to instantly spot my family.

And I did a double take.

...

The theater was full.

...

Mind you, not quite as jammed as say, the Dark Knight or certain other mega hollywood record breakers one might experience.

But it safe to say that it was full. Already.

Ten minutes before the previews would even start.

On a random Monday.

My family and I were not alone I realize, as I took my seat next to them. Five minutes later, I can distinctly recall other individuals displaying the very same look of surprise as they too would step in:

Turning the corner. Looking up with the expectation that as a "niche" film, they'd have any pick of the seats. Discovering that the theater was full. On a Monday.

It was full.

...

This was not a niche film.

And once it began, all eyes were upon it for the full one hour and twenty-nine minutes that it played. This film had filled a theater, and for its complete run time, not a single individual got up to refresh themselves.

So above all else taken from the presentation, from the radical ideologies of Obama's associates, to the link between the president's decisions and his search for a father's love.

Above all else, this revelation ~that the theater was full~ would cause a tear to shed. I was not alone to watch this film. None were alone, to watch this film.

We the People, watched this film.

~David Morris~

No comments:

Post a Comment