Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Memos in Pressured Writing

Lately, my final graduate course drills me in the art of writing policy memos.

Being timed, I maintain these samples unedited or touched up, for to do so would defeat the purpose of such exercises.

The following I am particularly proud of:

--

One page limit, under the fictional premise that I am a staffer of Paul Ryan (R-WI). The phone suddenly rings. Its Ryan himself, requesting a snap memo in response to a recently published research document challenging his block grant proposal. I must summarize and recommend on how to counter-argue. He's due on television in one hour.

I have 30 minutes to respond.

Link #1 - Regarding Medicaid Counter Arguments


--

One page limit, under the fictional premise that I am a staffer of Senate Budget Committee Ranking Member Jeff Sessions (R-AL). He has skimmed Chairman Kent Conrad's (D-ND) March 9, 2011 opening statement on elements for tax reform and expenditures. He requests a critique of the statement and a recommendation of whether he should support or oppose the position of Senator Conrad.

I have 30 minutes to respond.

Link #2 - Regarding the stance of a opposing party Senator.

--

Four pages, under the fictional premise that I work for Reince Priebus, Chairman of the RNC. With the 2012 campaign under draft, I'm requested of a short memo on how to treat the issue of Paul Ryan's proposal for Medicare.

One week time limit.

Link #3 - Regarding Ryancare Strategery


~David Morris~

No comments:

Post a Comment